Whether it’s to help safeguard the environment from chemicals or to protect family members from allergens, homemade cleaning solutions offer an array of benefits for both your home and your loved ones.
We at DFW Properties present the following seven DIY natural cleaners by the experts at American Home Shield for your hardwood floor when more than a little damp mopping is in order. But first, make sure you know what kind of floor you have and how it’s finished. For instance, water is not advised for waxed floors and should be used sparingly on all types of finishes.
1. Water and Vinegar. A popular cleansing agent in many areas of your home, vinegar can also help cut through the grime on your wood floor. Mix it with warm water and your good to go. Mix approximately ½ cup of white vinegar per one gallon of water. Use a sponge mop, and dry with a cloth or towel as you go.
2. Water, Vinegar, and Essential Oils. Add a few drops of your favorite scent to give your home an extra boost of fragrance.
3. Vinegar and Vegetable Oil. When water is not appropriate for your finish, mix equal parts vinegar and vegetable oil in a spray bottle and shake well to mix. Apply with a soft cloth mop and watch the shine come through.
4. Plant-based Liquid Soap, Vinegar and Water. If you’re faced with an especially dirty floor, you may need to use some soap. Add ⅛ cup of plant-based liquid soap and ⅛ cup vinegar to one gallon of water.
5. Tea Bags. The tannic acid in tea creates a beautiful shine for hardwood floors. Let two tea bags steep in water then rub your floors with a cloth to amp up the luster.
6. Lemon Juice, Olive Oil and Hot Water. This combination of kitchen ingredients will also deliver a wonderful shine to your wood floor. Add ¾ cup of olive oil and ½ cup of lemon juice to one gallon of hot water, and you’re ready to go.
7. Dish Detergent, Water and Vinegar. For laminate floors, this combination works well when used with a microfiber mop or sponge. Just combine three parts water to one part vinegar with a squirt of dish detergent in a spray bottle, then use sparingly. You don’t want the floor to get too wet.To keep your wood floors gleaming between cleanings, sweep or vacuum regularly, or use a dust mop or microfiber pad to trap dust and dirt.
DFW Property Management.com manages properties in the entire Dallas / Fort Worth metroplex. We offer three property management packages: Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Please click on the links to read more about each one, or check out our comparison page. Give us a call at 682-200-6700 if you have any questions.