Have you found yourself longingly peering into your neighbor’s yard to check out their new water feature only to start drawing up the blueprints for your own a week later? If you answered yes, turns out you’re just one of the many who experience jealousy — and a little competitive drive — over others’ home improvement projects.
In fact, a recent survey from The Home Depot conducted by Wakefield Research not only revealed what home improvement projects are most popular, but the motivation behind the projects, as well.
Here are some of the findings:
- More than half of Americans feel the urge to improve the appearance of their homes when they see their neighbors doing it first. From a landscape refresh with new perennials or an herb garden, to a patio overhaul with the latest grill and patio set, there’s no inspiration quite like competition.
- Millennials are particularly home-conscious and competitive, with 70 percent admitting to feeling this pressure and nearly 50 percent responding to it by completing a home improvement project specifically to outshine their neighbor. They stay on trend with not only the latest in gardening and décor, but also by staying green (and cutting costs) with smart thermostats.
- Parents tend to one-up their neighbors more than non-parents — whether that means installing a new fence and deck in the backyard or taking their spring cleaning one step further than others in the neighborhood.
- Millennials are more likely than baby boomers to buy new furniture or refresh their décor.
- When it comes to how people prefer to “one-up” neighbors, most went for curb appeal. Eighty-nine percent who tried to outdo a neighbor’s home project did so with a new outdoor project, and 62 percent focused on indoor upgrades.
Gardening, yard work and painting take the top spots for outdoor projects that Americans plan to take on this year. And painting, redecorating, house renovations and replacing flooring round out the roster of top indoor projects. Whatever you choose to tackle, make sure it’s within your budget and adds value to your home.
DFW Property Management.com manages properties in the entire Dallas / Fort Worth metroplex. We offer three property management packages: Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Please click on the links to read more about each one, or check out our comparison page. Give us a call at 682-200-6700 if you have any questions.