Even though you’re still enjoying the lazy days of summer (as you should!), there are several tasks you can and should be doing to start prepping your home and yard for fall. Taking some small steps now will not only lessen the workload down the road, but also help you avoid the stress and expense of emergency situations in the thick of the cooler weather. We at DFW Properties recommend the following:
- Have your furnace inspected. Who wants to think about heat in August? While this probably isn’t at the top of your list, August is a great month to have an HVAC pro come in—before they get busy in the fall—and check for leaks and heating efficiency, and also change your furnace filter.
- Test your home safety devices. Use this month to test all your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Replace batteries and have additional ones installed as necessary so that you’re ready to go once fireplace season kicks in.
- Seal up any draft-prone areas. Check around windows and doors to see where leaks may be occurring. Now is a great time to take care of patching holes and caulking around windows while the weather is still warm.
- Inspect your trees. The end of summer is also a great time to do a careful inspection of the trees on your property and get rid of any dead limbs before storm season sets in.
- Clean your fireplace. Chimney sweeps get amazingly busy once the fall season is in full swing, so make an appointment to have your fireplace professionally cleaned in the off-season.
- Conduct a roof inspection. Now’s the time to repair broken shingles or take care of any leaks. Make sure everything is tightened up well before rough weather sets in.
- Fertilize your lawn. As the summer winds down, take the time to fertilize your lawn to help guard against winter damage and ward off spring weeds.
As you soak up that last bit of summer sun, give your home a little TLC to make sure it’s ready to take on the changes fall will bring.
DFW Property Management.com manages properties in the entire Dallas / Fort Worth metroplex. We offer three property management packages: Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Please click on the links to read more about each one, or check out our comparison page. Give us a call at 682-200-6700 if you have any questions.